What was the decision behind the brand split? Wouldn't that split the fanbase and possibly see a cut in profits?
What genres can see see with each brand?
What are the most important do's and dont's when sending a demo? What is the best way to stand out/get recognised by a label (besides ofc producing quality tunes)
Do you have a genre you'd like to see more of in 2018?
I absolutely love Monstercat! As a producer myself, I love just streaming your stuff in the background while I'm going about my life to get inspiration for new stuff.
That being said, I have a few questions that might benefit artists who want to submit to your label:
* What are some mistakes that you believe producers on the come-up are making that would prevent them from getting accepted onto your label?
* Do you take an artist's social media presence into account for being on your label?
* And lastly, are there any artists that you have signed in the past that you now regret signing or have parted ways with on not-so-great terms? If so, what did they do to bring you to that decision, and what can new producers learn from that so as not to make the same mistakes?
Thanks so much for doing this AMA!
What happened to artist merch? It isn’t on the store anymore. Is it coming back? I really wanted that Tokyo Machine hat.
Why is Tommy West from SiriusXM your favorite radio personality of all time?
Hi Mr. Darlington! I have been a huge fan of Monstercat ever since you hosted the Monstercat Podcast [Ep. 136, juuuuust over one year ago :D](https://www.reddit.com/r/Monstercat/comments/5n7ixh/monstercat_podcast_ep_136_hosted_by_mike/
Can you share any other artists that might appear on Monstercat Instinct? Or, for that matter, any artists releasing an original on Uncaged? Seven Lions x Kill the Noise and Dirtyphonics x Sullivan King was incredible, who will we be surprised by with an original or collaboration next I wonder? ^^GETTER ^^maybe?
Do you plan on hosting another podcast soon?
How will albums work with this change?
Love you and everything you do, and I am even loving the surprise direction you got going with Monstercat. Thank you so much for this AMA, it means so so much! <3
^(Words of Wisdom) "No matter who you are, life is just a bunch of awkward moments.” - Mike Darlington
Does anyone ever recognize you in public? Do you ever hear anyone go, "Hey, that's the guy that founded Monstercat!"?
Hi. The past year has been nuts.
1.Could there be an EP released in both on Instinct and Uncaged? For example Sight of your Soul to be on Instinct and the rest of the Vantablack EP on Uncaged? Same for remix EPs.
2.Do we still get remixes and free releases on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday?
3. Any chance to visit Eastern Europe this year?
4. Any Pegboard Nerds EP in the near future? And does Troll get released soon?
How did the name "Monstercat" came about?
Hey Mike, I've been following the label for the best part of half a decade now. As you know (and obviously had a part in doing) the scene has changed drastically for artists and labels alike.
My question is; what do you personally see for both Monstercat and the industry as a whole in the next five years?
Have you ever picked any artists up in an inconventional way? If so, what's your favourite "recruitment" you've done?
Can you give me a job working for Monstercat from home? : ^ )
No but really:
1. You (as a label/channel) went from promoting music from other labels, to removing all promotion, to including outside music in the podcasts. Are you all rethinking how to handle the whole promotion thing or is it just restricted to the B2B stuff on Spotify/COTW?
2. What will happen to the compilation albums? Will they stay Uncaged, or will we see Monstercat Instinct Vol. 1 in a few weeks/months?
3. The label has releases from Hixxy, Gammer, Darren Styles, and Dougal and is one of the most popular sources of happy hardcore nowadays. Are there plans to I guess *steal the thunder* from any other single-genre labels?
and 4. Reinhard asks: "do u no da wey"
Hey Mike, fan since 012 here.
These are my questions:
* Are there any changes / decisions that you (referring to the entire team) have regretted later?
* Are you planning to release more content with another labels (example: most of Astronaut releases)? Idk, a Monstercat x OWSLA seems dope, at least for me hehe.
* How many time have you been working on Uncaged + Instinct until they've been ready?
* What type of unexpected merch would you like to add to the shop (would die for a mcat bed tbh)?
* Which underground artists do you think are going to explode on 2018?
* Now that we're talking about [exploding](https://youtu.be/h_At3vblkso
), do you like to be touched?
* And last but not least: iirc you said some time ago that you wanted to bring tech house to the label. Is there any other genre (preferably outside the electronic range) you would like to see here more often?
Thanks for 2017, Monstercat's best since 2014 imo. Let's hope for a better 2018! ♥
Hi Mike, I have been a huge supporter since 007 and I have always wondered how the process of getting a song on Monstercat worked.
I knew it was somewhat complicated but now that the family is huge as ever, my question(s) is this:
How do you pick a song to publish? E.I. What makes you choose to upload a Wrld song on a Monday then a Muzzy ep on Friday? Is there some sorting that helps picks this process or is there just a huge collab with the MC crew working with the artists to get them to publish a song on a specific day? Lastly, I can guess how many submissions you get to publish a song but if one were to get through, how long on average would it take to be published?
Thank you for everything you’ve done and here’s to more successes in the future.