Quick reminder to everyone about commenting during major situations like this.
* **DO NOT** post about police movements. In other words, if you are listening to scanners and radio communications of emergency personnel, hold off on sharing the play by plays.
* **DO NOT** share the personal information of alleged suspects or victims until the identities are confirmed by the police or mainstream media.
* **DO NOT** post identifiable images/videos of the dead or dying. Reddit is one of the most high-traffic sites in the world, especially in times of crisis. No one should find out that their loved one has died in a reddit thread. To clarify, you can still post images and videos of the incident, just no closeups of someone's face as they die.
Just heard an announcement that a school security officer stopped the shooter.
Edit: source from WJLA for those interested. Total of 3 injured including the shooter.
Reports coming out that the school resource officer intervened and took out the shooter.
Edit. Confirmed now. School resource officer is also a trained SWAT officer. Confronted the shooter in less than 1 minute.
That School Resource Officer was noted to have engaged the shooter and wounded him.
Full honors to that guy, I hope he and the other victims make a smooth recovery.
Just going through the comments, I'm surprised how many of your friends and siblings just happened sleep in and miss the bus. That's bizarre to me, I've read atleast 5 comments about that happening.
Great job by the resource officer. Hope the others wounded make it.
> A gunman who shot and wounded two students at Great Mills High School in Maryland **was killed Tuesday after engaging an armed school resource officer**, an official said.
Ok, so he killed him.
> In the hours and days to come, we'll be able to determine if our school resource officer's round struck the shooter
Let's see if the guard who stopped the violence receives days of media exposure with their face all over the news and "inside looks" into their mindset during the second by second breakdown.
That resource officer better get a medal or something. Hat's off to you good sir/ma'am!
I work for this school system, and here are the facts as they have been determined so far
- The student had a handgun
- He had a prior relationship with the primary victim
- The School Resource Officer intervened, and fired a single round
- Unclear whether the SRO killed him, or if he took his own life.
It looks like the female victim was the primary target of this attack.
"The shooter was the only fatality." Good.
Edit: To everyone saying he's just a kid: prove it. I didn't see the shooters age posted anywhere yet.
2nd Edit: apparently he was 17, my original comment was before they updated the article. Still glad he died and I hope the girl in critical condition recovers.
How is this on the front page instantly yet 5 IEDs have exploded around Austin and I had to find out through Facebook?